FOREST EUROPE has developed a Pan European Approach to National Forest Programs to strengthen coherence and synergies within the forest sector as well as between policies aimed at sustainable forest management and other relevant policies.
These national programmes constitute a participatory, comprehensive, inter-sectorial and interactive process of policy planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation at the national and/or subnational level in order to proceed towards the further improvement of sustainable forest management.
The pan-European NFP’s uses of the six pan-European criteria for sustainable forest management as a framework which includes the ecological, economic and socio-cultural dimensions of sustainable development and are based on the principles of:
- Comprehensive and inter-sectorial approach
- Interactive process with long-term commitment
- Capacity building
- Consistency with national legislation and policies
- Integration with national sustainable development strategies
- Consistency with international commitments recognizing synergies between international forest related initiatives and conventions
- Institutional and policy reform
- Ecosystem approach
- Partnership for implementation
- Raising awareness